Wednesday, November 08, 2017

Arrow Caterpillar


Arrow Caterpillar may sound like a strange title for a blog post. It's the name of the pattern of the sweet little shawl that I just finished.  The original name is 'die Pfeilraupe' I think that's Swiss but I could be wrong. The pattern is by Ravelry user Alpenrose. She has a few patterns available but this one is by far her most popular
I

I had a couple of goals when knitting this project. One was that I wanted to try this new fade technique that is popping up in knitting patterns everywhere. The whole point of this technique is to alternate your colours in a certain way when transitioning from one colour to the next. The colour change is meant to look gradual and nonjarring. 



The second thing that I wanted to achieve by knitting this project was that I wanted to use up some odds and ends of handspun yarn that I had left over.  I managed to do this! I used a lot of my odds and ends were just too precious to part with. 



I made a major modification when knitting this shawl. It was meant to be a much deeper triangle. The length is correct but I didn't get it to the specified thickness. Halfway through the project I miss placed a stitch marker and made an educated guess as to where it went. I have no doubt that I guessed wrong, very wrong.  As a result I didn't do nearly as many short rows as I should have there for the end where the holes are aren't as deep as it should be, I'm actually missing a hole.  But this may be a happy accident as I'm very pleased with the final project. It's just right. I love the many ways that this simple little garment can be styled. I think that I'll get plenty of wear from the Caterpillar shawl

No comments: